Kate said "20" and the first thing that popped into my mind was my 20 favorite Bible verses. So, here we go...
1. Zephaniah 3:17 "The Lord your God is with you; the mighty One will save you. He will rejoice over you. You will rest in His love; He will sing and be joyful about you.” (New Century Version)
This is my life verse. I love the imagery of God being so delighted with me; He sings over me.
2. Proverbs 3:5-6 "Trust the Lord with all your heart, and don’t depend on your own understanding. Remember the Lord in all you do, and He will give you success." (NCV)
3. Philippians 4:6-7 "Don’t be anxious about things; instead, pray. Pray about everything. He longs to hear your requests, so talk to God about your needs and be thankful for what has come. And know that the peace of God (a peace that is beyond any and all of our human understanding) will stand watch over your hearts and minds in Jesus, the Anointed One." (The Voice)
4. Philippians 4:8 "Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things." (New International Version)
I return to this verse when my mind wanders.
5. Romans 8:1 "So now the case is closed. There remains no accusing voice of condemnation against those who are joined in life-union with Jesus, the Anointed One." (The Passion Translation)
Sometimes it is hard to forgive myself. I love this reminder of not being condemned by God.
6. Isaiah 41:10 "Don’t be afraid, for I am with you. Don’t be discouraged, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you. I will hold you up with my victorious right hand." (New Living Translation)
7. II Timothy 1:7 "For God will never give you the spirit of fear, but the Holy Spirit who gives you mighty power, love, and self-control." (TPT)
8. Deuteronomy 31:6 "So be strong and courageous! Do not be afraid and do not panic before them. For the Lord your God will personally go ahead of you. He will neither fail you nor abandon you.” (NLT)
I'm so thankful that God is always near and willing to guide.
9. Psalm 91:1-2 "Whoever dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty. I will say of the Lord, “He is my refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust." (NIV)
10. Joshua 1:9 "This is my command—be strong and courageous! Do not be afraid or discouraged. For the Lord, your God is with you wherever you go." (NLT)
11. Isaiah 26:3 "You will keep in perfect peace all who trust in you, all whose thoughts are fixed on you!" (NLT)
12. I Corinthians 10:4-5 "The weapons of the war we’re fighting are not of this world but are powered by God and effective at tearing down the strongholds erected against His truth. We are demolishing arguments and ideas, every high-and-mighty philosophy that pits itself against the knowledge of the one true God. We are taking prisoners of every thought, every emotion, and subduing them into obedience to the Anointed One." (Voice)
13. Ephesians 6:10-17 "Finally, be strong in the Lord and in His mighty power. Put on the full armor of God, so that you can take your stand against the devil’s schemes. For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand. Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place, and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace. In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God." (NIV)
14. Ephesians 2:10 "For we are His workmanship [His own master work, a work of art], created in Christ Jesus [reborn from above—spiritually transformed, renewed, ready to be used] for good works, which God prepared [for us] beforehand [taking paths which He set], so that we would walk in them [living the good life which He prearranged and made ready for us]." (AMP)
15. Daniel 2:22 "He reveals deep and mysterious things and knows what lies hidden in darkness, though he is surrounded by light." (NLT)
16. Psalm 8: 1-2 "Yahweh, our Sovereign God, your glory streams from the heavens above, filling the earth with the majesty of your name! People everywhere see your splendor. You have built a stronghold by the songs of children. Strength rises up with the chorus of infants. This kind of praise has power to shut Satan’s mouth. Childlike worship will silence the madness of those who oppose you." (TPT)
17. Psalm 46:10 "Be still and know (recognize, understand) that I am God. I will be exalted among the nations! I will be exalted in the earth." (AMP)
18. Galatians 5:22-25 "But the Spirit produces the fruit of love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control. There is no law that says these things are wrong. Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified their own sinful selves. They have given up their old selfish feelings and the evil things they wanted to do. We get our new life from the Spirit, so we should follow the Spirit." (NCV)
19. Isaiah 61:3 "...to bestow on them a crown of beauty instead of ashes, the oil of joy instead of mourning, and a garment of praise instead of a spirit of despair. They will be called oaks of righteousness, a planting of the Lord for the display of his splendor. (NIV)
20. Romans 8:37-39 "Yet even in the midst of all these things, we triumph over them all, for God has made us to be more than conquerors, and his demonstrated love is our glorious victory over everything! So now I live with the confidence that there is nothing in the universe with the power to separate us from God’s love. I’m convinced that his love will triumph over death, life’s troubles, fallen angels, or dark rulers in the heavens. There is nothing in our present or future circumstances that can weaken his love. There is no power above us or beneath us—no power that could ever be found in the universe that can distance us from God’s passionate love, which is lavished upon us through our Lord Jesus, the Anointed One!" (TPT)
What is your favorite Bible verse? I'd love to hear about it in the comments below.
This post was prompted by Kate Motaung's "Five Minute Friday," which she hosts on the Five Minute Friday website. Kate posts a single word each week and each blogger sets a timer for 5 minutes to write and then posts, with little editing. (Some weeks I have more trouble with that part than others.) Check out the other writers this week!